Holiday parties are back, and we are all looking forward to getting together with friends and family for great times! When planning your holiday party, you'll want to make sure everything is in order. This includes your home's atmosphere. With the temperatures dropping and everyone remembering how much they appreciate the heat, a warm and welcoming home will keep everyone comfortable.
Here are some heating recommendations to help you get your home ready for a holiday party over the next couple of weeks:
About a week before the party…
- Contact an HVAC professional and have your system inspected and cleaned thoroughly: This should ideally be done at the start of the cold-weather season, but an examination will ensure that your system is in good operating order and that all components, including air ducts, are clear of dust, grime, and other pollutants.
- All gratings and vents should be cleaned/cleared: Wipe down the air vents and heat gratings in your home with warm, clean water and a disinfectant cleanser. After that, dry them with a clean, dry cloth. Make sure nothing is impeding the airflow into the room from the vents. This will let warm air to flow smoothly and maintain a comfortable room temperature, plus you won't have to deal with the embarrassment of party visitors seeing dust and dirt sticking to your vents or other neighboring areas.
- Invest in a humidifier: Everyone knows that humidifiers help to keep enough moisture in the air to make breathing easier, but you may not realize that the moisture also helps to retain heat, keeping your home warm. It also aids in the killing of bacteria and germs in the air. Invest in a larger house humidifier or place humidifiers throughout your home. Long after your holiday party is a lovely memory, you and your family will reap the advantages.
An hour before your guests arrive…
- Warm-up while preparing for the party: Take the opportunity to turn your thermostat down a few degrees on the day of your party while you're getting things ready. You'll stay warm while planning your party, organizing, decorating, cooking, and getting ready to enjoy the celebrations. This is a great time to turn off your heater, save energy, and save a few bucks on your heating bill.
- Close any rooms that aren't in use: Because your party will be held in specific sections of your home, it's a good idea to concentrate on keeping those spaces ready for guests. Close off any rooms in your house that aren't going to be used so that heat is concentrated where everyone is. This will save money on energy, keep everyone comfortable, and deter guests from venturing into private sections of your home.
- Your furnace's air filter should be replaced: You may have already replaced the air filter in your furnace in preparation for the winter; however, if your furnace has been in use this season, the filter may have already gathered pollutants. Change it even if it appears to be clean to ensure that the warm air pushed into your home is as fresh and safe as possible. By using your HVAC system, dirt and other potentially dangerous material will be kept out of your home.
While the party is happening…
- Start a fire to keep your party warm at night: A roaring fire in your fireplace will provide the perfect tone for a Christmas gathering. Make sure the fireplace and the space around it are soot-free and that you have everything you'll need to keep the fire going all night. To ensure your safety, use a protective screen. With a warm fire burning, the temperature will stay comfortable, so you can turn down the thermostat a little.
- Allow your ceiling fans to assist with the heating of your home: Wait, ceiling fans? Yes! When you put your ceiling fans to "Reverse," the rising hot air will be pushed back down into the room and circulated around your home. Warm air will circulate instead of being cooled by the fans. Because the ceiling fans will spread the warm air throughout your rooms, keeping them pleasant and inviting, you will be able to lower your thermostat setting.
At Ben’s ProServ, our licensed HVAC team has the experience to assist you in making your HVAC system winter and party-ready! To learn more or schedule an appointment, call 856-347-3588 or visit BensProServ.com